By Brandon Hall
(Email him at WestMiPolitics@Gmail.com)
>>>With "Safe Roads YES!" losing by 30% in most polls less than a week before the election, they are beyond desperate.
Now, they are utilizing a playbook that would make San Francisco's infamous "Zodiac Killer" proud.
The group, promoting a $2 billion tax increase, the largest in fifty years,only roughly half of which goes to roads, has rigged up a school bus as if an f-ing bridge has fallen on top of it! They are currently taking the bus to towns all across the state in an attempt to scare the living hell out of Michiganders.
It's terrorism dressed in a suit, and legally funded. It's obviously not as violent as what we typically associate with terror-it's a sinister, more subliminal/psychological type... Jeez! #FirstWorldProblems
(Of note: Terrorism: the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes)
|A drawing of a bomb placed to blow up a school bus sent to local media by the "Zodiac Killer"|
Using kids to generate fear and headlines is nothing new.
The Bay Area's "Zodiac Killer," a serial killer who terrorized the San Francisco region in the late 60's and 70's, killed at least 7 people and wrote letters to local media about those murders. (Check out the movie Zodiac, fascinating case)
|Kids who see that bus be like...|
One of his favorite things to do in those communications? Threaten school kids by shooting at them, and/or bombing their bus. He brought the issue up many times in letters to the media because it generated so much press attention and fear throughout the area.
"School children make nice targets I think I shall wipe out a school bus some morning just shoot out the front tire + pick off the kiddies as they come bouncing out," he wrote in one letter.
Safe Roads YES! is trying to shift the conversation as voters prepare to head to the polls. They also want to energize their base.That's why they dragged the circus to towns across Michigan this week with these horrendous scare tactics they think will fool Michiganders and change the trajectory of the entire debate.
Don't let them-don't be fooled.
|Prop 1 supporters laugh as their bus of terror sits at a campaign stop|
Opponents blasted the outrageous move. According to MLIve:
"Paul Mitchell, a Saginaw-area businessman and chairman of the prominent opposition group, Coalition Against Higher Taxes and Special Interest Deals, said he doesn't understand why advocates for the proposal aren't explaining where all the money is going.
"I believe it's time for the 'Yes' campaign to move beyond scare tactics and misinformation," he said, adding that funds from Proposal 1 will also be spent on items beyond road repair.""
|Paul Mitchell, left, with fellow Prop 1 opponent State Rep. Lee Chatfield, center, as they talk to MLive's Jonathon Oosting (Photo by Darlene Dowling Thompson)|
Just remember 10 things about Prop 1:
1. Largest tax increase in 50 years...
2. Will be a defacto doubling of the gas tax from 19 cents to 41 cents...
3. Will also be an increase in the sales tax, from 6% to 7%...
4. Passed at 5:30 in the morning the week before Christmas, the last vote of "lame duck"...
5. Only 60% goes to roads, and of that, 10% is actually for mass transit and other related things...
6. Multiple alternatives have been discussed and even introduced in the legislature by Representatives Courser and Gamrat, as well as State Sen. Patrick Colbeck...
7. Safe Roads YES! entirely funded by people who will benefit off this, or something else going on in Lansing...
8. Safe Roads Yes will outspend all 4 "no" groups combined 40:1, over $11 million at the end of the day to around $300,000...
9. Schools and local governments are worthwhile, but to latch them on to a road package is irresponsible and not at all being brought up by Prop 1 proponents. And we have money in the budget for a new Senate building for Meekhof-$134 million, the Hollywood tax credits Bill Huizenga was instrumental in starting-$50 million/ year, and billions in corporate welfare-$12 billion total liability for MEGA credits alone, yet none for roads? Shady. Not to mention tons of counties across Michigan have recently passed road taxes at the County level!
10. The disgusting fear tactics of Safe Roads YES! are beyond the pale. They are also going onto property without permission and posting signs that violate Michigan law because they do not disclose the group as the entity who paid for the sign...
It's time to make Lansing listen. It's time to send Arlan Meekhof and the people who claimed, pre-election, that they were against tax increases and big government, to do the job they were elected to do and PROMISED to do. Prop 1 simply does not fulfill that obligation, to be charitable.
On May 5th, you can be heard loud and clear from every corner of Pure Michigan: Lansing, we've had ENOUGH. I mean, this bus stunt?! Like, for real, how stupid do they think we are?
Brandon Hall is a lifelong political nerd from Grand Haven, and is the Managing Editor of West Michigan Politics.
>>>Email him at WestMiPolitics@Gmail.com
>>>Email him at WestMiPolitics@Gmail.com
|Photo By Darlene Dowling Thompson|